Viral marketing, per digital marketing geniuses and search engine optimization hero, has become one of the strongest and most effective components of digital marketing in the past several years. Many ad campaigns have gained popularity on the net because of their catchy, funny, dramatic, action-packed, and straight outrageous concepts. This is online marketing at its finest. Needless to say, if you want to streamline your brand these days, one great option is to go for viral marketing.
Making an ad campaign go viral however is not a walk in the park. To make a successful viral ad campaign you must have something unique to offer, and not something that screams “buy our products” type of strategy.
So, how do you make a viral ad? This seemingly simple question requires several answers to come up with a solid conclusion. While there is no one formula to make a viral ad, these tips will surely point you to the right path:
- Go against the traditions – If your brand sells coffee, you don’t want your ad to be all about coffee. Think outside of the box. It is like leading your viewers to something else other than coffee. Consumers do not want to be told what to do and what to buy, so leading them into something else than your product’s sales pitch will come very handy.
- Impress the audience – The first five seconds of your viral ad are crucial in catching the attention of your target consumers. Since most Internet users want everything fast, you should be able to grab their attention the soonest possible time. Needless to say, you would want to shock and surprise your viewers on the first few seconds of your viral video. The rule of thumb is: use the first seconds to show off and impress.
- Play with audience’s emotions – One of the common denominators among successful viral ads is that they put viewers in an emotional rollercoaster. If you want your ad to become viral, play with your viewers emotions. Make them happy, sad, then happy again. Make them nervous, angry, and happy. This will surely keep your audience sticking until the last second of the video. Let go of traditional marketing tenets that say you should stick to a single concept, instead make a video that is a smorgasbord of emotions.
- Surprise and shock – What you want is to leave your audience thinking. If your viewers spare few seconds to think about the ad after watching it, you have done your work right. This is one of the best recipes for viral marketing, per search engine optimization hero and seasoned marketers. If you leave your audience extremely delighted, inspired, motivated, emotional, or even mad, your leverage for ‘shareability’ is much higher.
- Don’t forget to sell – Probably the hardest thing to do in making a viral marketing campaign is to seamlessly associate the ad’s concept to what your brand is selling or offering. You may have a shocking video but if it fails to connect itself to the product, then everything will go down. There must something that connects the concept to the product to make your viewers wanting to buy what you are offering. Keep in mind that at the end of the day you want your business to grow.
Viral ads are a product of the outrageous and curious minds in the creative marketing industry. It takes hours of brainstorming, strategy building, collaborations and relentless efforts to come up with an ad that has good chances of being viral. At the end of the day, the more bizarre, dramatic, thought-provoking, inspiring, motivating, and weird the video is the better leverage it has to be popular.